Friday 22 October 2010

Our final horror movie assessment - Rachel's!

1. Use of the camera:

Our finished work does show that we can hold a shot steady, we achieved by using the tripod and keeping it on a relatively flat surface throughout our film. Also, we framed all our shots appropriately, with making sure we kept to the rule of thirds. Furthermore, we made sure that we used a variety of shots and each shot that followed on from one another was different - this kept our film interesting and maintained the viewers attention throughout.
Finally we used composition techniques by making sure that everything was correct each time, for example we had to edit it when Kris was moving his arm differently in the next shot, when he wasn't in the previous shot, and he was meant to be.

2. Use of Editing:

I think that our finished work shows that we can apply the rules of continuity editing, as all the shots flow well together, from one to the other and this creates a seamless, finished film. We chose not to use transitions between shots, as we felt that our shots flowed together correctly, without needing transitions - this is due to the way we filmed it.

3. Selection of Content:


Our finished film does show that we can use appropriate costume, make-up and props for our film genre because in the film we were basing our film on the actor was wearing normal clothes and wore no make-up , or had props. This is to reflect that it is happening to a normal person and could therefore happen to the viewer; making it scarier. Also, I am very happy with the location that we chose to film it in. Prior to the final filming, Conor and I went to the location to check it was suitable and we found it to be perfect for the requirements of our horror film.
Finally, I think we made a great choice in having Kristian act in our film, one reason for this is that he is an actor and has done acting in front of a camera before- this was good because then the camera didn't make him nervous or phase him. Secondly, Kristian is a media student himself so he understood the continuity and composition rules and was able to make sure he followed these and finally, I feel he acted really well and helped make our film better :)

4. Self-assessment:


As a group we all contributed equally to the making of the film and to help complete it, in our own ways.
Firstly I went to the location with Conor to be sure it was suitable, I also did a portion of the filming on the day, as did Niall and Conor. Furhtermore, I completed a list of the scenes to be shot, with the shot types we would be included, the angles and the duration of these. Also, I helped with the editing of our film to complete it fully and improve it.
Improvements could be made to our finished film in order to improve it, one of these is a shot where Kristian is meant to be bringing the necklace up to his face to look at it, but instead it looks more like he is smelling it and then lowers it, with a look of disgust. If we were to re-film this then I think we would definitely re-do this scene to improve our film.
Finally, I do not actually think there is anything I would do differently when it comes to my final coursework. I am happy with my group, as we have got along really well and we work well together, I think our finished film reflects this. I am also pleased with the way we planned and executed our film on a whole.

1 comment:

  1. wow. This post is incredible. I can tell that you have put a lot of hard work and effort into this! Congratulations

    ReplyDelete