Wednesday 6 April 2011

AS Media Studies: Foundation Portfolio Evaluation - Question 9 by Conor

What was your contribution to the process during the planning, production and post production stages?

I feel that like everyone else i contributed well to the task and was responsible for the success of several critical areas of the project on the whole.

Planning:
I would say that i did my part in this area of the project from drawing up my section of the storyboard:


This i feel was done well by all members of our group!

I was also along with Rachel responsible for the search for a location, we went on several trips after college looking for a suitable environment for both our preliminary and final film.

I also watched a few Horror films in the hope of finding ideas for our attempt, these were in several ways successful as watching films like "Paranormal Activity" and "1408" gave me inspiration for the mental side of our piece.

Myself and Rachel also produced a Powerpoint presentation which we delivered to the class on the basic concept of our film (the video of this presentation is on our blog)

Filming:
I was always involved with this stage of the project. I attended every shoot aswell as often carrying lots of the equiptment both to the location and back with one or both of my group.

I personally did the filming with Rachel and Niall assisting and helping with both the mise-en-scene of the scenes as well as aiming to cancel out any continuity errors. This system worked well as i was used to working with the camera and therefore did (in my opinion) a good job.

This was a a prime example of what i would say was our tactic of each working to our strengths in order to come out with the best film possible.

Editing:
Again, i was heavily involved with this aspect of the film.

This section was split into two halves...the film itself and the music.

I was in charge of the film for which i did almost all of the actual editing (cutting up shots etc...) while Niall did almost all of the music himself. Rachel played the vital role of splitting her efforts between the two in the hope of seeing any unnoticed errors or reccomending another way of doing something.

I feel very comfortable with the Sofware (iMovie) and personally feel like a did a very good job with my work in this area which i feel is my most influencial role! I believe that without me in all areas but particularly this one, the film would have suffered


This is an example of a shot which i constructed that i am particularly proud of. In this scene (with the help of Niall's music) the tension rises and shots like this one will hopefully create nerves amoung viewers who may feel intimidated by being in our characters situation.

This is also an example of the P.O.V shot which all throughout this project i have pushed forwards as a good idea, i feel it has worked tremendously well particularly sparingly which is how we have used it.

Conclusion:
I am very happy with my input to our film and feel as though i have played several vital roles.

I have absolutely no complaints about m,y group who have been apleasure to work with and each deserve full credit for their roles in each stage of the project.

We each acted to our strengths and that is what i feel benefitted us the most throughout this course.

1 comment: